Fed-up families may sue over roadworks

A claim for compensation is to be launched by residents facing 18 months of roadworks near their Black Country homes.

Published

The £12.3 million work to rip out Burnt Tree island, near Dudley, started last Monday causing delays and tailbacks every day.

Householders and motorists along the busy route today branded the past seven days "a nightmare".

And residents added they were now making preparations for a legal challenge.

Today there appeared to be a lull in jams during the morning peak hour after temporary traffic lights were removed.

The lights were cited as a key cause of the tailbacks which plagued the first days of the project.

Linda Jones, of New Birmingham Road, said the roadworks had affected her family badly.

The 57-year-old, who has two sons, Ryan, aged 16, and Robbie, aged 14, said: "We have a garage at the back, but last week we could not get access to it.